Good afternoon, travel sleuths! Do you like solving mysteries? Were you a fan of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego as a kid? Perhaps you just like to see beautiful and enigmatic depictions of far-away places. Whatever your niche is, we’re delighted to unveil a little scavenger hunt for you all: a photographic tour of exclusive venues in Western Ireland, presented by Wild West Irish Tours.
You probably won’t get the full experience without being there, but we’re hoping you enjoy this peek through the window into where we like to venture: if you dare to be wild, come with us now to discover these secret places…
1. Walk With Ghosts in a Valley of Singing Wind: Experience the tranquility of walking through a valley as sweeping and epic as anything out of Lord of the Rings: this landscape in Western Ireland is dotted with abandoned monuments of a much more solemn time; the walk of which is both breathtaking and sobering. Where the valley begins to curve is where you’ll see the open darkness of a cave in which legends were made. Any ideas on where this might be?
2. Four Seasons in One Day?: It’s more likely than you think in this mystical garden. More than mere flowers grow here; though their abundance is noted with joy by all who visit: the preservation of history and harmony is vital to the owner’s mission. Would you like to come convene on Celtic lore whilst enjoying a spot of tea? Here’s where to do so with all of us!
3. Familial Crests and Towering Turrets: There’s a castle in Western Ireland that only we have the keys to (aka; we ask the owners nicely and they’re kind enough to oblige).
Overlooking lush green landscape marked by archaic churches and rolling hills, this family-specific home is one near and dear to at least three Westies’ hearts. Bet you can’t name the clan attached to it! Hint: They’re one of the most well-known in all of Ireland.
4. You’ve Heard of Red Roof Inn, Now Get Ready for Red Door Cottage:
A quaint and functional little house hidden away in the West, this adorable nook has great history with an area of Ireland that hugs the shoreline. If you can wager a guess as to how old it is, we applaud you. Hope you have good weather for thatching!
5. Cromwell Couldn’t Take It:
This church dates back to the 11th century – far older than what you might expect from
a spot frequented by pilgrims and self-guided historians. It’s stood both the test of time and trials through the ages. It’s a must-visit for those seeking some peace and reflection.
6. Enchantment on the Rocks; Both Shaken & Stirred: This area of Western Ireland is pleasantly notorious for its ecological exploits. Rarely do four types of flora (arctic, alpine, Mediterranean, and deciduous) exist in harmony with one another; much less growing out of terrain lovingly referred to as “living stone”. It stretches for miles; touching mountain and shore.
Do you know its name?
7. Hot Dog! What a Day:
Spending time on this island [which shares a name with a famous American island]
isn’t just a jaunt at a carnival. Named for bunnies more than balloons and barkers, this isle is sometimes inaccessible due to weather and tide: making it a mysterious getaway fit for fey instead of faire-fare.
8. See Red, But Relax: Take a moment in this gem in the woods to watch the stream flow and hear the birds sing. Smell the fresh fragrance of forest air and imagine yourself in a storybook setting where all problems seem easily solved. Something about this area just seems to sing of solitude and peace. Come with us – we know the way!
9. Not Always a Grave Situation: One of the Wild West Irish Tours mottos is “expect great things in simple places”. This area exemplifies that; as not only is it simple, it contains a great story (or several great stories; actually) tucked against the bosom of Ireland’s beating heart. Well-worth the visit for those who enjoy the written word (and beautiful scenery; not to mention history).
10. Peak Performance Located In: ? Bet you can’t guess! This magnificent mountain is one of several worth noting in Western Ireland especially: a towering testament to a varied and mysterious landscape, it’s a “brother peak” of sorts to a mountain previously pictured within the same range!
And if that’s not enough for you, here comes a bonus round!
We’re asking you readers to come up with the answer to where this most exclusive Wild West Irish Tours locale is located:
Imagination is encouraged! Try to think outside the box; because seldom do we stay in the expected. If you want to wager a guess for a potential prize, please contact us via our website at https://wildwestirishtours.com/contact ! You’re welcome to comment on any of the other images; share with your friends to solve our picturesque puzzles, but this last one is our secret. 🙂 So don’t give it away!
Thanks for tagging along! Stay tuned for our next big romp.
Till next time,
– Sam Fishkind.